LED grow lights are increasingly used in modern agricultural planting. But do you really understand the plant growth lights and its application? Today we explain the wavelengths and applications of LED plant growth lighting.
LED grow lights wavelength
LED grow lights is one of the artificial light for plant growth. The main difference between LED growth lights and other lamps is wavelength.
1. The color temperature and lumens of LED grow lights can be seen by the human eye, but they do not affect the photosynthesis of plants.
2. The spectral range of plant physiology effects:
- 280 ~ 315nm – the impact on morphology and physiological processes is very small
- 315 ~ 400nm – less chlorophyll absorption, affecting the photoperiod effect, preventing stem elongation
- 400 ~ 520nm (blue) – chlorophyll The ratio of carotenoid absorption is the largest, and the effect on photosynthesis is
- 520 ~ 610nm (green) – the absorption rate of pigment is not high
- 610 ~ 720nm (red) – the chlorophyll absorption rate is low, which has a significant effect on photosynthesis and photoperiod effect.
- 720 ~ 1000nm – low absorption rate, stimulate cell elongation, affect flowering and seed germination
- >1000nm – conversion to heat
From the above data, different wavelengths of light have different effects on plant photosynthesis, plant photosynthesis needs the light has a wavelength of around 400 ~ 720nm.
3. According to the above principle, there are 3 kinds of LED grow lights: a combination of red and blue, all blue, and all red.
The LED plant grow lights provide red and blue wavelengths of light, covering the wavelength range required for photosynthesis.
In terms of visual effects, the red and blue combination plant lights appear pink.
The white light LED lamp, the most common is to use the blue core to stimulate the yellow phosphor, which combines to produce a visual white light effect.
In the energy distribution, there are two peaks in the blue region of 445 nm and the yellow-green region of 550 nm. The 610 ~ 720nm red light required by plants is very scarce. This explains why plant growth is not good under white LED illumination.
4. The red and blue light chromatogram ratio of the plant lamp is generally between 5:1 ~ 10:1, usually 7 ~ 9:1 ratio.
5. When the plant light is used to supplement light for the plant, the height of the blade is generally about 0.5 meters.
LED Plant Growth Light Spectroscopy Research Case
The experts of Agricultural University cultivated a batch of wintergreen seedlings through cloning technology, and based on their growth status under different color light sources, find the “nutrition light” which is most suitable for plant growth.
The research result below:
- The holly seedlings in purple light are the tallest, but the leaves are small, the roots are shallow, and malnutrition looks like.
- The seedlings under the yellow light are not only short, but the leaves look lifeless.
- The holly growth that grows under the mixed light of red and blue is the best, not only strong but also very developed.
- The red and blue bulbs of this source are configured in a 9:1 ratio.
In addition to the holly seedlings, the experts also conducted a light test using Phalaenopsis, Oncidium, Strawberry, and Tomato. The results show that a 9:1 red-blue light is most beneficial for plant growth.
Since blue is good for plant leaf growth, red is good for plant flowering and fruiting, so the number of red and blue lamp beads in this lamp can be specially made according to the user’s plant requirements for light.
Factors affecting plant growth
Four factors that affect the growth of plants: light quality, photoperiod, light intensity, and light quantity.
- Plant growth and yield (plant size, number of flowers, and other characteristics) are mainly absorbed by the entire day.
- The influence of plant morphology (height and plant type) is mainly related to light quality (mainly blue light, red light,).
- For photoperiod sensitive plants, flowering (short-day and long-day plants) is mainly affected by the duration of light or photoperiod, while the photoperiod-insensitive plants (neutral) have the greatest influence on the amount of light, and photosynthesis is mainly affected by light and light strength. Photosynthesis mainly occurs in the visible spectrum, (400-700nm)
- The strongest LED plant growth lamp in the red light region and the blue light region is based on the growth mechanism of plant photosynthesis.
Using LED as the light source, mixing according to the scientific RB ratio, and synthesizing the necessary plant growth. Light, spectrally pure, the spectrum is concentrated at 450-470, 615-625.
LED grow lights advantages:
- Compared with ordinary plant lights, the advantages are obvious.
- Ordinary plant lamps radiate ultraviolet and infrared light that is useless to plant growth and waste a lot of electric energy.
- LED plant growth lamps use electroluminescence mechanism.
- Under the same light intensity, LED plants The growth lamp saves more than 80% of electricity than ordinary plant growth lamps.
Vanqled provide professional LED grow lights for 10 years, we have a professional planting laboratory and a spectral research center. We provide customized LED plant growth lights. If you have any need for LED grow lights, please feel free to contact us.