Adequate light is one of the main conditions for the growth of seedlings. Winter and early spring are usually short and often lack young shoots. Therefore-growth weakness and even disease. But to provide light for seedlings, it is not enough to install some lighting devices: plants need a certain spectrum of lighting to stimulate their growth. Plant lights are used for this purpose.
1. Nursery lamp
Plant lamp is a kind of lighting equipment whose ray spectrum is as close as possible to the best natural light of plants. Natural light ensures normal photosynthesis, which is one of the main processes of plants. Its essence lies in the formation of organic matter and oxygen from carbon dioxide under the action of light or ultraviolet rays.
2. What is a plant light for plants
Most importantly, during the daytime from January to March, when the day is short, the temperature is low and cloudy, the seedlings need extra light. All these factors slow down natural growth, even in the presence of nutritious soil and normal moisture.
Each plant species has its own demand for light intensity, day length, and even spectrum preferences. This must be taken into consideration when planting seedlings. It is also important to track the alternation of day and night, the dark and bright periods. Therefore, the device must be turned on and off regularly. The length of the day depends on the type of plant and the growth period.
3. What kind of light do the seedlings need
The plant light can be configured to simulate natural light as much as possible:
- Choose the best color temperature;
- Install modifications with required spectral characteristics;
- Change the light intensity according to the time of day.
Certain lighting parameters correspond to each stage of growth.
The use of plant lights can provide enough light for plants at any growth stage of plants and accelerate the process.
4. How to choose plant lights
Plant lights are significantly different from traditional incandescent lamps. In traditional incandescent lamps, the spectrum shifts to the infrared side. The phytolamp does not actually generate heat. In addition, it is completely safe for plant and human life.
Requirements for plant lights:
- Lack or very small amount of ultraviolet, far red and infrared are harmful to plants.
- Strong profitability and low energy consumption. Provides the light intensity needed by plants.
- Easy to operate, maintain and repair; the ability to easily and quickly replace the burnt out lamp in the lighting lamp.
LED plant lights can meet all these requirements.
In addition, LED devices have at least four advantages:
- Even if they work for a long time, they will not actually get hot, so they can be installed at a lower height.
- Reduce the evaporation rate of water, which can increase the interval between watering.
- No need to install an additional reflector: due to the wide dispersion angle, it can provide a large area of illumination.
- The lamps are environmentally friendly, fireproof, and do not require special treatment conditions.
5. Types of LED lights for seedlings
There are three main types of LED plant lights on the modern market:
- Two colors are used for additional lighting of seedlings growing on the windowsill or balcony. She receives natural light there and uses plant lights as an aid. This is the simplest and cheapest type of device that emits red and blue light-spectral colors have a good effect on plant growth and can activate the process of photosynthesis.
- Multispectral is used to illuminate adult plants in indoor conditions (in a cool room, cloudy, winter, early spring).
- Full-spectrum lamps are called personal sun lamps. They are suitable for all stages of plant life, including seed germination. They can be used as the main and only light source: as long as there is enough heat and moisture, seedlings will grow even in rooms without windows (kitchen, basement). All the colors of the rainbow are combined in the luminous spectrum, with the maximum brightness falling on blue and red.
To plant seedlings at home on the windowsill, a two-color light is sufficient. In the presence of daylight, even if the sky is dark, plants will receive a sufficient amount of certain types of light spectrum. The lamp will increase energy for photosynthesis and growth. If you plan to grow plants to the stage of flowering and fruiting, you should pay attention to full-spectrum and multi-spectrum lights.